VDOT Materials Certification Schools
2020 Materials Certification Schools (MCS)
ATTENTION: Please read the following carefully (COVID-19 Guidance).
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, VDOT is initiating the following revisions to the Materials Certification Schools guidelines:
- If you have never held a certification, you will be allowed to work under the direct supervision of a certified individual. The uncertified individual is "required" to complete the pertinent self-study or online course for a knowledge base prior to starting work.
- Those who held certifications as of December 31, 2019 but their certifications have expired in 2020 will have their certifications extended until June 30, 2020 (or until new guidance is issued).
VDOT continues to work with the Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA) and Germanna Community College (GCC) to explore alternative training and testing methods.
GCC is now able to offer the Asphalt Field Level 1, Asphalt Plant Level 1, Slurry Surfacing and Surface Treatment exams online. This testing option is available for the first attempt only (if you fail, you will not be allowed to take the exam again online). The exams will be taken remotely using a virtual proctor (i.e. Respondus Monitor). Students must meet all technology and test environment stipulations as required by GCC, including the use a lockdown browser with Respondus monitoring. Students who would like to attempt their initial exam by this method need to contact GCC by email at email@example.com. For now, any student who does not meet all the criteria for online testing will need to wait until the testing centers resume normal operating hours.
At this time, all other written and proficiency examinations are unavailable.
This guideline will be in place until June 30, 2020 or until new guidance is issued.
PLEASE NOTE: Current holders of the ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician certification or the WACEL Concrete Level I Technician certification, who have recently expired or will soon expire during this time frame, may continue working on VDOT projects through June 30, 2020 (or until new guidance is issued).
The MCS courses are currently being delivered through a partnership between VDOT, the Virginia Education Center for Asphalt Technology (VECAT) with Germanna Community College (GCC) and the Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA).
VECAT, through Germanna Community College (GCC), is hosting the following courses, which are now available either online or in a face to face format:
- Asphalt Field Level 1 and Level 2
- Asphalt Plant Level 1 and Level 2
- Asphalt Plant Mix Design
- Slurry Surfacing
- Surface Treatment
The CCWA is hosting the following courses, which are available in a traditional (instructor-led) format or as a self-study option, allowing the students to challenge the Materials Certification exams:
- Soils and Aggregates Compaction
- Concrete Plant
- Central Mix Aggregate Plant
- Pavement Marking (only available as an online course)
For more information on CCWA courses and registration click here or contact CCWA at 804-523-2290 or 804-523-2292.
Students are required to register for classes on the GCC and/or CCWA web sites. ALL students must have a valid account on VDOT University. Access to test grades will be first done on GCC and CCWA and certification credentials will ONLY be available through VDOT University Virtual Campus, so ALL students must have a valid account on VDOT University. Grades and certifications are issued within 15-30 business days after the testing date.
For questions or concerns regarding MCS grades or certification status, contact us at MaterialsCertification@vdot.virginia.gov .
If you are currently participating in VDOT's Materials Certification Schools, you can access your Materials Certification Reports via the VDOT University Virtual Campus:
Maintenance of Certification
All of the MCS Certifications are valid for five years and must be retaken every five years to maintain the certification. If your certification expires this year, you must successfully complete all requirements for the certification by completing an instructor-led or self-study course and any proficiency in the same calendar year.
Some courses also require that the proficiency be demonstrated at a VDOT approved locations. Enrollment can be completed on through Germanna Community College or CCWA. That list has been provided below:
- Asphalt Plant Level 1 - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by Germanna CC
- Asphalt Plant Level 2 - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by Germanna CC
- Asphalt Plant Mix Design - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by Germanna CC
- Concrete Field - Current ACI must be submitted to MaterialsCertification@vdot.virginia.gov
- Soils and Aggregate Compaction - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by CCWA
- **New**Central Mix Aggregate Plant - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by CCWA **New**
To learn about CHANGES up to 2018, please review the following:
- MCS Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- 2013 Program Changes (PDF)
- ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician Certification Program Schedule
- Nuclear Radiation Certifications can now be obtained online through third party vendors (PDF)
If you have more in-depth questions, contact the Materials Certification Schools team:
Phone: Scott Manning 804-229-5118 or Duane Sayre 804-328-3150